In designing a building to house the College’s mechanical workshops, the forerunner of its engineering program, Post emulated a factory façade. “Utilizing double-story, segmented arched bays, he maintained the campus’ uniform terra cotta trim while expressing the inner industrial workings with steel factory sash and spandrels, which stretch from the ground through both exposed floors.”
Situated to the north of Townsend Harris and to the west of Baskerville Hall, Compton Hall contained mechanical laboratories, a small engine room, an instructors’ room and a library on its first floor, and teaching facilities for processes such as speed lathe, woodworking and forge on its second floor. A visitors’ gallery in the basement allowed people to view the workings of the College’s power and heating plant, which was vented through an octagonal chimney between the building’s main entrances.
Today, Compton Hall and an adjoining structure opened in 1930, Goethals Hall, which used to house the School of Technology, house offices, classrooms, studios and gallery space for the College’s Art and Theatre Departments.