Service-Learning Project Grants
Faculty are invited to apply to this fund to support projects that clearly articulate a high level of integration with course content and community service outreach. Projects may include components that engage students in field work or service-learning that addresses needs in the community. Examples of ways to utilize the funds could be, (but are not limited to):
- Traveling to explore volunteer opportunities at domestic and international sites.
- Developing service-learning components of study abroad programs.
- Purchasing supplies for large service-learning projects.
- Printing and distributing educational outreach materials prepared by students in a course.
- Hiring a student assistant to aide in managing the project.
- Hosting lunch, meetings, or events for service-placement supervisors.
Up to two awards are available each year. The maximum award for an individual project is $1,000.
Courses and projects must be completed within one year of the award and a one-to two-page summary report is required of the recipient. Preference will be given to faculty who have already offered a service-learning course during a prior semester.
Grant Applications should include the following:
1. A cover sheet with (1) name (2) department (3) phone (5) email (4) proposal title (3) semester that course will be offered or project will be implemented.
2. A one- to two-page proposal that includes the following:
- a description of your proposed service-learning project. Include connections between your course content and the community need you expect to address.
- A proposed budget detailing the expenses for your service-learning project.
- A description of your experience with or knowledge of service-learning or experiential learning.
- Additional comments or information (sample syllabi, possible agency partners, past projects etc.).
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Completed applications should be sent to:
Genéa Stewart, Director of Service-Learning and Civic Engagement
Colin Powell Center for Policy Studies
160 Convent Ave. Shepard Hall, Room 550
New York, New York 10031
For questions or additional information, contact Genéa Stewart, email@example.com, (ext. 8335).