Position Description and Duties
planning, program development, and administration to support access, retention,
multicultural, and other student affairs objectives.
- Develops plans for, and leads a student development services unit which
comprises a variety of services and programs
- Collaborates with academic affairs professionals and other in supporting
retention and building a comprehensive learning environment that fosters the
intellectual, psychological, social, leadership and recreational development of
a diverse student population
- Assists senior management in providing leadership, developing policy,
conducting strategic planning, and representing student affairs in various
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the portfolio of student services in
supporting divisional and College-wide goals; oversees data collection,
tracking, and reporting systems
- Manages fiscal and human resources; may oversee grant management activities
for selected programs
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Life Director
to the Vice President for Student Affairs, The Director of Campus Student
Involvement will be responsible for assisting the Vice President to plan,
implement and evaluate the programs and services managed by the Division, and
to recommend the development and implementation of new programs and services
that support the College's strategic plan. S/he will assist the Vice President
in promoting a desire for excellence, creativity, leadership,
cooperation/teamwork and accountability throughout the Division of Student
Additional duties include:
- Provide vision and leadership for building community between students, their
families and CCNY.
- Provide leadership and supervision for program coordination, strategic
planning, and student development for the following areas: Student Life,
Athletics, Auxiliary Services and Veterans Affairs.
- Develop and sustain the Division of Student Affairs communication plan to
provide a single point of information about critical student services and
selected college offerings.
- Collaborate with Communications and Marketing on the development of
communication protocols, campaigns, publications and the Division of Student
Affairs web presence.
- Assist the Vice President in providing leadership and oversight in
implementing continuous improvement efforts, formulating Division goals and
objectives, and evaluating the Division's targets and goals and Performance
Management Process in support of the College and CUNY goals/targets
- Work with the Vice President to determine campus needs and implement
appropriate services. Recommend strategies to meet the needs of a diverse
community and student body.
- Leverage technology to ensure uniform delivery of foundational information to
all students, reach students quickly and to track the effectiveness of
community building activities.
- Develop performance metrics for all campus engagement efforts.
- Develop long- and short-term goals and objectives; direct program
development, implementation, evaluation, and improvement to achieve the goals
and objectives of the college.
- Serve on campus and CUNY wide committees.
offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents
based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and
Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or
semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits
are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
Qualifications and Requirements
degree and eight years related experience required.
degree in a relevant discipline is strongly preferred. Experience in
higher education and an outstanding record accomplishment is required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills and the capacity to supervise and
lead a student affairs staff.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in student services in general and
student engagement in particular.
- Knowledge of policy formulation and methods of analysis to establish
practical policies and provide effective guidance in decision-making.
- Ability to organize and implement change.
- Ability to behave in a considerate manner with others regardless of
ethnicity, gender, age, disability, or beliefs.
- Ability to interview, select, train, supervise, and evaluate a diverse staff.
- Ability to actively listen and demonstrate understanding.
- Skills to maintain a fair and decisive leadership style with the ability to
make independent judgments.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate outcomes and effectiveness of
- An innovative character thriving on challenge, who is student and quality
- Ability to generate and identify opportunities to improve present programs
- Demonstrates the determination to achieve objectives, particularly when
subject to time/cost constraints.
- Ensure regular evaluation of assigned staff and make appropriate
- Ability to keep up-to-date on changes in technology and provide
recommendations regarding the direction of the campus' strategic plan.
- Ability to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional
or unintentional disclosure.
- Ability to meet deadlines for assigned reports and projects.