Acting Associate Dean
School of EducationDepartment
Teaching Learning and Culture: Undergraduate Childhood Education, Graduate Childhood Education
- Associate Professor in City College School of Education, September 2000-present
- Acting Chair and then Chair of the Department of Leadership and Special Education 2011-2012
- Chair of Department of Childhood Education (now the Department of Teaching, Learning and Culture) 2002-2009
- Director of the Graduate Program in Childhood Education 2000-2002
- Before coming to CCNY: Assistant and then Associate Professor at the State University of New York at Old Westbury 1983-2000; Chair of Faculty Senate 1999-2000; Chair of the Department of Teacher Education 1986-1990
- Pre-college work experience: Site Coordinator, dropout prevention program in East Harlem, N.Y.C; Consultant, Project Head Start; eight years experience as teacher in New York City Schools at early childhood, elementary and middle school levels;
- PhD in Elementary and Early Childhood Education, New York University
- MS in Science Education, Yeshiva University
- BS in Biology, Queens College of the City University of New York
- How Young Children Learn Mathematics (EDCE 32204)
- Student Teaching Seminar and Differentiated Instruction (EDCE 41500)
- Student Teaching Supervision (EDCE 41800
- How Children Learn Mathematics: Implications for Teachers I and II (EDCE 6000C and EDCE 6100C)
- Curriculum Development in Childhood Education I and II (EDCE 2900F and EDCE 3000F)
- Mathematics for Teaching (EDCE 5950C)
- Workshops in Child Abuse Identification and School Violence Prevention (required for certification as a teacher in New York State)
- Interdisciplinary Instruction
- Aesthetic Education and Teacher Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Change in Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Johnson, G.L. (in progress) Promoting the professional development of higher education faculty through participation in a collaborative in aesthetic education (to be submitted for review September 2012)
- Johnson, G.L. and Franklin, C.(2010). Disrupting the taken for granted: Exploring urban teacher candidate experiences in aesthetic education. Thinking Skills and Creativity (50% contribution)
- Johnson, G. L. and Franklin, C. (2008). Disrupting the taken for granted: Urban teacher education and aesthetic lines of inquiry, 2nd Annual National Conference (3/24/07) Aesthetic Education: Expanding notions of excellence in K-18 learning communities. Equity Studies Research Center and Lincoln Center Institute, Queens College CUNY, (refereed conference proceeding) http://qcpages.cuny.edu/Education/equity_studies_research_center.htm (50% contribution)
- Edelson, R.J. and Johnson, G.L. (Winter 2003/2004) Music makes math meaningful Childhood Education 80 (2), 65-70. (50% contribution)
- Johnson, G.L. and Edelson, R.J. (2003) Integrating music and mathematics in the elementary classroom Teaching Children Mathematics 9 (8), 474-479. (60% contribution)
- Johnson, G.L. (January 2004). "Accreditation agencies promote change at CCNY School of Education." Education Update IX (5), 13.
Accreditation Reports (singly authored)
Program Review for Undergraduate Programs in Childhood Education, submitted to the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), January 2008; program received accreditation in October 2008.
Program Review for Graduate Programs in Childhood Education, submitted to the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), January 2008; program received accreditation in October 2008.
Program Review for Undergraduate Programs in Childhood Education, submitted to the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), fall 2002; program received accreditation in May 2003.
Program Review for Graduate Programs in Childhood Education, submitted to the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI), September 2002; rejoinder submitted May 2003; Program received accreditation in September 2003.