Division of ScienceDepartment
Marshak Science 415
2014 - Professor, Dept. of Physics, City College of New York and Grad. Center of CUNY
2010 - 2014 Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics, Queens College & Grad. Center of CUNY
2012 - 2013 Visiting Scholar, Research Laboratory for Electronics, MIT
2004 - 2010 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics, Queens College & Grad. Center of CUNY
2004 - 2006 Visiting Researcher, Princeton University
2003 -2004 Research Staff Member, Princeton University
2001 - 2003 Lucent Bell Labs Post-Doctoral Fellow in Photonics, Princeton University
2001 Ph.D. in Physics, University of Massachusetts
1995 M.Sc. in Physics (Quantum Optics), University of Hyderabad, India
Research in my group - the Laboratory for Nano and Micro Photonics (LaNMP) can be best summarized as exploration of light-matter interaction at the nano and micron sale. The main research focus areas are development of:
(i) light confining structures such as microcavities and waveguides and
(ii) artificially engineered optical materials such as metamaterials and hybrid (Organic/Inorganic) nanocomposites.
These focus areas are motivated by the quest to develop high efficiency classical and non-classical light sources, enhanced nonlinear optical devices and integrated quantum photonic circuits.
Some of the ongoing projects include:
- Cavity QED using colloidal quantum dots and 2D materials (NSF, ARO)
- Metamaterial based light emitters (ARO)
- Quantum optics using metamaterials (NSF)
- Control of energy transfer in Organic-Inorganic hybrid excitonic systems (NSF)
- k-space spectroscopy of active metamaterials and photonic structures (ARO – DURIP)
More details about my research group can be found at LANMP.ORG
(Selected recent publications)
1. "Strong light-matter coupling in 2D atomic crystals," X. Liu, T. Galfsky, Z. Sun, F. Xia, E-C Lin, Y-H Lee, S. Kena-Cohen, and V. M. Menon (http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.4826) [Also Post-deadline paper at CLEO/QELS 2014]
2. "Visualization of Exciton Transport in Ordered and Disordered Molecular Solids," G. M. Akselrod, P. B. Deotare, N. J. Thompson, J. Lee, W. A. Tisdale, M. A. Baldo, V. M. Menon, and V. Bulovic, Nature Comm. 5, 3636 (2014) [doi:10.1038/ncomms4646]
3. "Room temperature Frenkel-Wannier-Mott hybridization of degenerate excitons in a strongly coupled microcavity," M. Slootsky, X. Liu, V. M. Menon* and S. R. Forrest*, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 076401 (2014).
4. "Topological transitions in metamaterials," H. N. S. Krishnamoorthy, Z. Jacob, E. Narimanov, I. Kretzschmar, and V. M. Menon, Science 336, 205 (2012).
5. "Towards polaritonic logic circuits," V. M. Menon, L. I . Deych, A. Lisyansky, Nature Photonics 4, 345 (2010)
For complete list of publications – please visit: LANMP.ORG