City College will close today, January 26, 2015, at 3 p.m. due to inclement weather. Only essential personnel are expected to report to or remain at work for regular business hours. The college is closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Only essential personnel report to work.
Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall ST - 622
p: (212) 650-6621
f: (212) 650-8249
ProfileDr. Yi Sun received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, and the Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, in 1997. Dr. Sun was a lecturer at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, from 1985 to 1993, a visiting scientist at the Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, in the summer of 1993, a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, from March to September 1997, and a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, from October 1997 to August 1998. Since September 1998, Dr. Sun has been an Assistant Professor and then Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the City College of City University of New York.
PhD, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1997
MSEE, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, P. R. China, 1985
BSEE, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, P. R. China, 1982
- ENGR 20400 Electrical Circuits
- EE 31200 Communication Theory
- EE 42200 Communication Lab
- EE 46000 Computer Communications
- EE 51003 Independent Study/Project
- EE 59866 Senior Design I
- EE 59867 Senior Design II
- Bridge Program
Graduate (at Columbia University)
- EE F6300 Wireless Communications
- EE I7100 Statistical Communications
- EE I7200 Spread Spectrum
- EE I7300 Digital Communications I
- EE I7400 Digital Communications II
- EE I9600 Master Report
- EE I9700 Graduate Project
- EE I9900 Master Thesis
- ELEN E6201 Linear System Theory
- ELEN E4702 Digital Communications
Research InterestsDr. Sun's research has been in modeling, parameter estimation, algorithm development, and performance analysis for various human-designed and biomedical systems by means of signal processing, image processing, probability and statistics, and information theory. These include development of a family of local maximum likelihood detectors for image reconstruction and wireless communications, a local maximum mean approach to detection of microvessels from magnetic resonance angiography image, an approach for robotic to search sources, a biomarkers spectral subspace approach to cancer detection through tissue fluorescence, power spectral analysis of pulse train over random time scaling, and an approach to neovascularization assessment of tumor and atherosclerosis by DCE-MRI, as well as development of a number of algorithms and methods for image restoration, pattern recognition, artificial neural network, signal detection, power spectrum analysis, biomedical data analysis, wireless communication and networking.Dr. Sun's research interests are recently focused on stochastic optical localization nanoscopy for superresolution single molecular imaging, including algorithm development to enhance the spatiotemporal resolution, establishment of information-theoretical foundation for the spatiotemporal resolution, and quantitative analysis of nanoscale structure and dynamics of biological samples.
- Y. Sun, "Distribution of intravascular and extravascular extracellular volume fractions by total area under curve for neovascularization assessment by DCE-MRI," J. Medical Signals & Sensors, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 159-170, July-Sept. 2014.
- X. Zhang, Y. Sun, and J. Xiao, "Adaptive source search in a gradient field," Robotica, pp. 1-20, April, 2014.
- Y. Sun, and X. Wang, "Power spectral density of pulse train over random time scaling," IET Signal Processing, pp. 1-5, January, 2014.
- L. Shi, M. Zeng, Y. Sun, and B. M. Fu, "Quantification of blood-brain barrier solute permeability and brain transport by multiphoton microscopy," J. Biomech. Engr., vol. 136, pp. 031005.1-9, March, 2014.
- Y. Sun, "Localization precision of stochastic optical localization nanoscopy using single frames," J. Biomedical Optics, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 111418.1-15, Nov. 2013.
- J. Shi, Y. Sun, X. Zhang, and J. Xiao, "Random access channel with retransmission gain," IEEK Trans. on Smart Processing and Computing, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 148-159, June 2013 (invited paper).
- Y. Sun, and J. Xiao, "Multi code sparse-sequence CDMA: approach to optimum performance by linearly complex WSLAS detectors," Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 1049-1056, 2013.
- C.-H. Liu, Y. Zhou, Y. Sun, J. Y. Li, L. X. Zhou, S. Boydston-White, V. Masilamani, K. Zhu, Y. Pu, and R. R. Alfano, "Resonance Raman and Raman spectroscopy for breast cancer detection," Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment (TCRT) (Feb. 22, 2013).
- X. Zhang, Y. Sun, and J. Xiao, "A novel radio source search algorithm using force field vectors and received signal strengths," Int. J. Mechatronics Automation, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 25-35, 2013.
- Y. Zhou, C.-H. Liu, Y. Sun, Y. Pu, S. Boydston-White, Y. Liu, and R. R. Alfano, "Human brain cancer studied by resonance Raman spectroscopy," J. Biomedical Optics, vol. 17, no. 11, Nov. 2012.
- Y. Sun, Y. Pu, Y. Yang, R. R. Alfano, "Biomarkers spectral subspace for cancer detection," J. Biomedical Optics, vol. 17, no. 10, 107005, Oct. 2012.
- K. Yu, Y. Sun, P. Fan, X. Lei, and L. Shu, "Performance analysis of large CDMA random access systems with retransmission diversity over fading channels," KSII Trans. Internet and Infor. Sys., vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 509-527, Aug. 2010.
- Y. Sun, J. Xiao, and F. Cabrera-Mora, "Robotic localization and power-efficient wireless networking by using multiple antennas," J. Shandong Univ. Engr. Sci., vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 29-35, Aug. 2010 (invited).
- Y. Sun, "A family of likelihood ascent search multiuser detectors: approaching optimum performance via random multicodes with linear complexity," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2215-2220, Aug. 2009.
- Y. Sun, "A family of likelihood ascent search multiuser detectors: an upper bound of bit error rate and a lower bound of asymptotic multiuser efficiency," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1743-1752, June 2009.
- Y. Sun, "Spectral efficiency and optimal medium access control of random access systems over large random spreading CDMA," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1256-1260, May 2009.
- Y. Sun, Y. Zeng, W. Yen, J. Tarbell, and B. Fu, "Expectation maximization can outperform Cramer-Rao lower bound in stochastic optical localization nanoscopy," 2014 Conference on Quantitative BioImaging, Albuquerque, NM, Jan. 9-11, 2014.
- Y. Sun, Y. Pu, and M. Schaffler, "Multiemitter colocalization accuracy in 3-D stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy," SPIE Photonics West Bios 2013, San Francisco, CA, Feb. 2-7, 2013.
- Y. Zhou, C.-H. Liu, J. Li, L. Zhou, J. He, Y. Sun, Y. Pu, K. Zhu, Y. Liu, Q. Li, G. Cheng and R. R. Alfano, "Resonance Raman spectroscopy for human cancer detection of key molecules with clinical diagnosis," SPIE Photonics West Bios 2013, San Francisco, CA, Feb. 2-7, 2013.
- Y. Sun and Z. Ye, "Distribution of intravascular and extravascular extracellular volume fractions for neovascularization assessment by dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging," Proc. IEEE Signal Processing in Medicine and Biology Symposium, SPMB 2012, New York, NY, Dec. 1, 2012.
- C. Yi, Y. Sun, and Y. Tian, "CinC challenge: predicting in‐hospital mortality of intensive care unit by analyzing histogram of medical variables under cascaded Adaboost model," Proc. Computing in Cardiology 2012, CinC 2012, Krakow, Poland, Sept. 9-12, 2012.
- Y. Sun, Y. Pu, L. A. Sordillo, Y. Yang, R. R. Alfano, "Breast cancer detection in the spectral subspace of biomarkers," Proc. OSA Optics & Photonics Congress – Biomedical Optics and 3-D imaging, BIOMED 2012, Miami, FL, Apr. 28 – May 2, 2012.
- Y. Sun, "Estimation of physiological parameters in the subspace of arterial input function in dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging," Proc. IEEE Signal Processing in Medicine and Biology Symposium, SPMB 2011, Brooklyn, NY, Dec. 10, 2011.
- X. Zhang, Y. Sun and J. Xiao. "Radio source search using force field vectors weighted by received signal strength gradients," Prof. IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, ICMA 2011. Aug 2011.
- X. Zhang, Y. Sun and J. Xiao. "Theseus gradient guide: an indoor transmitter searching approach using received signal strength," Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, ICRA2011. Shanghai, May 2011.
- Y. Sun, J. Xiao, and F. Cabrera-Mora, "Robot localization and energy-efficient wireless communications by multiple antennas," IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Syst., St. Louis, MO, Oct. 11-15, 2009.
- K. Yu, Y. Sun, P. Fan, X. Lei, "Performance of large CDMA random access systems with retransmission diversity over fading channels," IEEE Wireless Comm. & Networking Conf., WCNC, pp. 1-6, April 2009.