M.S. in Mathematics Education - Grades 5 - 9
for the Master of Science in Mathematics Education and initial New York State Certification to teach mathematics in grades 5 - 9 are:
- Hold a bachelor's degree with a minimum overall gpa of 2.75.
- Have completed at least 12 credits of college level mathematics including Calculus I with minimum gpa of 3.0.
- Complete the admissions application (Contact the SOE Graduate Admission Office 212-650-6296 or NAC 3/227 for the application form and deadlines.)
- Take the New York State Teacher Liberal Arts and Science Test and Content Specialty Test in Mathematics. Students who do not have time to take these tests prior to the application deadline may submit a test registration form as evidence of their intent to take these examinations. New York State Teacher Examination information can be found at the New York State Education Department web site. Score reports must be submitted with the application or as soon as the test results have been received.
To maintain ones status as a middle school mathematics teacher candidate and be recommended for student teaching a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 gpa.
- Register for at least one course each semester.
- Pass the NYSTE LAST, CST exams (A copy of test scores must be submitted to your advisor.)
- Successfully complete 100 hours of pre-student teaching field experience*.
- Maintain an electronic teaching portfolio
*Note: The educational core includes 100 hours of pre-student teaching experience in the New York City Schools. Teacher candidates must have time during normal public school hours to fulfill this requirement.
Admission to Student Teaching requires completion of the student teaching application during the first 10-weeks of the semester prior to student teaching. Contact the Office of Field Experiences and Student Teaching NAC 6/205 for information regarding the deadlines and application process. Student teaching requirements include:
- Completion of at least 15 credits in the program with a gpa of 3.0 or higher.
- Successful completion of 100 hours of field experience (part of education requirements).
- A passing score report for the New York State Liberal Arts and Science Test (LAST).
- A passing score report for the New York State Content Specialty Test in Mathematics (CST).
During the student teaching semester you will register for:
EDUC 0600G: Student Teaching (3 credits) - This is full-time, full-semester, supervised teaching experience in the New York City Public Schools.
EDUC 1900G: Child Abuse and Health Education Seminar (0 credits)
To be recommended for certification teacher candidates must:
- Complete the master's degree program with a gpa of 3.0 or better and apply for graduation. This includes submission of an electronic portfolio.
- Successfully complete the student teaching semester.
- Pass the New York State LAST, CST and ATS-W exams. (A copy of your score reports must be submitted with your application for certification.)
- Submit an application for certification to the City College Certification Officer.