M.A. in Mathematics Education - Grades 7 - 12
Application for: Admission, Student Teaching, NYS Certification
Admission requirements for the Master of Arts degree program in Mathematics Education and initial New York State Certification to teach mathematics in grades 7-12) are:
- Hold a bachelor's degree in mathematics (or its equivalent - 30 credits) with a minimum overall gpa of 2.75. Mathematics coursework should include Calculus I and II (minimum of 8 credits), modern algebra, linear algebra, probability and statistics, geometry, number theory, and discrete mathematics.
- Complete the admissions application (Contact the SOE Graduate Admission Office 212-650-6296 or NAC 3/227 for the application form and deadlines.)
- Take the New York State Teacher Liberal Arts and Science Test and Content Specialty Test in Mathematics. Students who do not have time to take these tests prior to the application deadline may submit a test registration form as evidence of their intent to take these examinations. New York State Teacher Examination information can be found at the New York State Education Department web site.
To maintain ones status as a secondary mathematics teacher candidate and be recommended for student teaching a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 gpa.
- Complete all of the coursework in the program.
- Pass the NYSTE LAST, CST exams (A copy of test scores must be submitted to your advisor.)
- Successfully complete 100 hours of pre-student teaching field experience*.
- Maintain an electronic teaching portfolio
*Note: The educational core includes 100 hours of pre-student teaching experience in the New York City Schools. Teacher candidates must have time during normal public school hours to fulfill this requirement.
Admission to Student Teaching requires completion of the student teaching application during the first 10-weeks of the semester prior to student teaching. Contact the Office of Field Experiences and Student Teaching NAC 6/205 for information regarding the deadlines and application process. Admissions requirements include:
During the student teaching semester you will register for:
EDUC 0600G: Student Teaching (3 credits) - This is full-time, full-semester, supervised teaching experience in the New York City Public Schools.
EDUC 1900G: Child Abuse and Health Education Seminar (0 credits)
To be recommended for certification teacher candidates must:
- Complete the master's degree program with a gpa of 3.0 or better and apply for graduation. This includes submission of an electronic portfolio.
- Successfully complete the student teaching semester.
- Pass the New York State LAST, CST and ATS-W exams. (A copy of your score reports must be submitted with your application for certification.)
- Submit an application for certification to the City College Certification Officer.