M.S. in Mathematics Education - Grades 5 - 9
Professional/Permanent Certification at the Middle School Level
Admission requirements for the Masters of Science Degree Program in Middle School Mathematics Education and professional (or premanent) New York State Certification to teach mathematics in grades 5-9 are:
- Hold a bachelor's degree with a gpa of 2.75 or better.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 credits of college level mathematics including Calculus I with a gpa of 3.0 or better.
- Hold a valid New York State Provisional or Initial Teaching Certificate or its equivalent. Submit a copy of your New York State Provisional or Initial Teaching Certificate.
- Complete the admissions application (Contact the SOE Graduate Admission Office 212-650-6296 or NAC 3/227 for the application form and deadlines.)
- Submit passing score reports for the New York State Teacher Liberal Arts and Science Test and Assessment of Teaching Skills - Written.
- Take the New York State Content Specialty Test in Mathematics and submit the score report. Students who do not have time to take these tests prior to the application deadline may submit a test registration form as evidence of their intent to take these examinations. New York State Teacher Examination information can be found at the New York State Education Department web site.
To maintain ones status as a degree candidate and be recommended for graduation a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 gpa.
- Complete all of the coursework in the program.
- Maintain an electronic teaching portfolio.
To be recommended for certification teacher candidates must:
- Complete the program with a gpa of 3.0 or better and apply for graduation. This includes submission of an electronic portfolio.
- Submit a complete application for professional/permanent certification to the City College Certification Officer.