M.A. in Mathematics Education - Grades 7 - 12
Professional / Permanent Certification
for the Master of Arts Degree Program Mathematics Education and initial New York State Certification to teach mathematics in grades 7-12) are:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in mathematics (or its equivalent - 30 credits) with a minimum overall gpa of 2.75. Mathematics coursework should include Calculus I, II (minimum of 8 credits), modern algebra, linear algebra, probability and statistics, geometry, number theory, and discrete mathematics and a New York State Initial Certification or its equivalent.
- Hold a valid New York State Provisional or Initial Teaching Certificate for Secondary Mathematics or its equivalent. Submit a copy of your New York State Provisional or Initial Teaching Certificate.
- Complete the admissions application (Contact the SOE Graduate Admission Office 212-650-6296 or NAC 3/227 for the application form and deadlines.)
- Submit passing score reports for the New York State Teacher Liberal Arts and Science Test, Content Specialty Test in Mathematics, and Assessment of Teaching Skills - Written. Students who do not have time to take these tests prior to the application deadline may submit a test registration form as evidence of their intent to take these examinations. New York State Teacher Examination information can be found at the New York State Education Department web site.
To maintain ones status as a degree candidate and be recommended for graduation a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 gpa.
- Complete all of the coursework in the program.
- Maintain an electronic teaching portfolio.
To be recommended for certification teacher candidates must:
- Complete the certificate program with a gpa of 3.0 or better and apply for graduation. This includes submission of an electronic portfolio.
- Pass the AST-P and submit scores to your advisor.
- Submit a complete application for professional/permanent certification to the City College Certification Officer.