Graduate Application Process
All applications for graduate programs must be submitted online. Candidates may find the application at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=CUNYCCNYG
. You may contact the Graduate Admission Office (NAC 3/223A or 212-650-6296) for assistance.
All applicants must take and pass the New York State Teacher Liberal Arts and Science Test (LAST) before applying. Candidates who do not have time to take this test prior to the application deadline may submit a test registration form as evidence of their intent to take it. New York State Teacher Examination information can be found at the New York State Education Department website.
Each Secondary Spanish Education graduate program has its own set of pre-requisites. Please refer to the graduate programs page for specific details.
To maintain one's status as a secondary Spanish teacher candidate and be recommended for student teaching, a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 GPA.
- Complete all of the coursework in the program.
- Pass the New York State Teacher Liberal Arts and Science Test (LAST) and the New York State Content Specialty Test in Spanish (CST). (A copy of the test scores must be submitted to your advisor.)
- Successfully complete 100 hours of pre-student teaching field experience*.
*Note: The educational core includes 100 hours of pre-student teaching experience in the New York City Schools. Teacher candidates must have time during normal public school hours to fulfill this requirement.
Admission to student teaching requires completion of the student teaching application during the first 10-weeks of the semester prior to student teaching. Contact the Office of Field Experiences and Student Teaching (NAC 6/207A or 212-650-6915) for information regarding the deadlines and application process. Admissions requirements include:
- Completion of all Spanish and education course requirements.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Successful completion of 100 hours of field experience (part of education requirements).
- A passing score report for the New York State Liberal Arts and Science Test (LAST).
- A passing score report for the New York State Content Specialty Test in Spanish (CST).
During the student teaching semester you will register for:
- EDUC 0600G: Student Teaching (3 credits) - This is a full-time, full-semester, supervised teaching experience in the New York City Public Schools.
- EDUC 1900G: Child Abuse and Health Education Seminar (0 credits)
To be recommended for certification, teacher candidates must:
- Complete the Master's degree program with a GPA of 3.0 or better and apply for graduation.
- Successfully complete the student teaching semester (if applicable).
- Pass the New York State LAST, CST and ATS-W exams. (A copy of your score reports must be submitted with your application for certification.)
- Submit an application for certification to the City College Certification Officer.