Top 10 Technology Dos and Don'ts for Faculty
- Set up of the CCNY email account:
You should use your CCNY email account if you communicate with students via email. You can access your email (or reset your password) at https://emailinfo.ccny.cuny.edu/facultystaff.php.
You can forward your CCNY email to your personal email: http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/prospective/education/studentemail.cfm
Learn why and how to access Blackboard:
- Backup your data (flash, hard drive, etc.) at least weekly.
The best way to backup your system depends on your use, needs and system. These articles will help you to choose the best solution:
- Find available resources in the Library:
- Know about the CUNY Portal:
- Update your computer (in particular virus definitions, plug ins and operating system):
These are the most important areas you need to keep up to date or check on your computer to keep your system free from viruses and Internet threats:
More information about certain programs:
Free virus scan applications:
- Internet Safety (Do not download anything or click on any link unless you know the source):
- Know how to use your flash drive (e.g. ejecting):
- Be aware of the Copyright Laws because they also apply to online content:
- Technology and Teaching Resources:
- Dos and Don’ts in School of Education Smart Classrooms:
- Do not save content on the SmartBoard computer.
- User name: SmartBoard, Password: contact the School of Education Labs (Learning & Technology Resource Center x5455 or Multimedia Center x6266)
- Make sure you TURN OFF the LCD projector, computer and other equipment. After you turn off the LCD projector the fan will stay on until the bulb is cooled down.
- Report damaged instructional resources (computer, SmartBoard, tables, chairs, etc.) to the Dean's office.
- Remove all trash.
- Lock the room behind you.
- Access to locked School of Education rooms: contact Security NA 4/201, Office of Technology NA 3/227A or the Learning & Technology Resource Center NA 3/226.
- Unlocking computer cabinets: contact Office of Technology NA 3/227A or the Learning & Technology Resource Center NA 3/226.