Currently, there is no additional related information for this news or event.
Hamilton House Relocated to St. Nicholas Park
Shepard Hall and Steinman Hall have a new neighbor. Over the weekend, Hamilton Grange, the last home of U.S. Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton and one of Manhattan’s few remaining frame structures, was moved around the corner from its location on Convent Avenue to a new foundation in St. Nicholas Park directly beneath the CCNY campus. Moving the structure required raising it 30 feet to clear an outcropping of St. Luke’s Church next door and moving it out into Convent Avenue. This created the once-in-a-lifetime image of the house sitting in the middle of the street, framed by CCNY’s Hamilton (north) Gate. The house is being restored by the National Park Service to its appearance when Hamilton lived there , from 1802 until his death in 1804 in a duel with Aaron Burr. It is expected to reopen to the public next year, and visitors will get a glimpse of the rear of Shepard Hall when they approach the entrance. The new site is within the boundaries of Hamilton’s estate, which extended for 34 acres. The house was moved to its present location in 1889 as the surrounding neighborhood became urbanized.
The City College of New York
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
(212) 650 7000