B.S., 1954, National College, Buenos Aires, Argentina;
M.D., 1960, Ph.D., 1961, University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine;
Ph.D., 1975, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
He conducts research on the molecular mechanism of spermatid head shaping, a process relevant to male fertility. The ongoing research is focused on the role of non-receptor tyrosine kinases and pyrazolo-pyrimidine-type inhibitors on the development of the acrosome (essential for fertilization), the assembly of the acroplaxome (a cytoskeletal plate that modulates exogenous constriction forces during spermatid head shaping) and the assembly/disassembly of the manchette (a microtubular structure involved in nucleo-cytoplasmic transport).
Note: Below are the most recent five years of publications for Dr. Kierszenbaum. For a more complete list of publications, please go to PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
Articles (peer reviewed)
- Kierszenbaum AL. (2003) Epididymal G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR): Two hats and a two-piece suit tailored at the GPS motif. Mol Reprod Dev. 64:1-3.
- Marh J, Tres LL, Yamazaki Y, Yanagimachi R, Kierszenbaum A.L. (2003) Mouse round spermatids developed in vitro from pre-existing spermatocytes can produce normal offspring by nuclear injection into in vivo developed mature oocytes. Biol.Reprod.. 69:169-176.
- Rosselot C, Kierszenbaum A.L., Rivkin E, Tres LL. (2003). Chronological gene expression of ADAMs during testicular development: prespermatogonia (gonocytes) express fertilin b (ADAM2). Dev Dyn 227:458-467.
- Kierszenbaum A.L., Rivkin E, Tres LL (2003). Acroplaxome, an F-actin-keratin-containing plate, anchors the acrosome to the nucleus during shaping of the spermatid head. Mol Biol Cell 14:4628-4640.
- Kierszenbaum A.L., Rivkin E, Tres LL. The actin-based motor myosin Va is a component of the acroplaxome, an acrosome-nuclear envelope junctional plate, and of manchette-associated vesicles. Cytogenet Genome Res 103:337-344.
- Kierszenbaum A.L., Tres LL, Rivkin E, Kang-Decker N, van Deursen JM. (2004). The acroplaxome is the docking site of Golgi-derived myosin Va/Rab27a/b- containing proacrosomal vesicles in wild-type and Hrb mutant mouse spermatids. Biol Reprod. 70:1400-1410.
- Kierszenbaum A.L. (2004). Polycystins: what polycystic kidney disease tells us about sperm. Mol Reprod Dev 67:385-388.
- Tres LL, Rosselot C, Kierszenbaum A.L. (2004). Primordial germ cells: what does it take to be alive? Mol Reprod Dev 68:1-4.
- Tres LL, Rosselot C, Kierszenbaum A.L. (2004). Caspase activity inhibition delays programmed spermatogenic cell death in vitro. Arch Hist Cytol 67:315-324.
- Kierszenbaum A.L. and Tres LL (2004). The acrosome-acroplaxome-manchette complex and the shaping of the spermatid head. Archives Histology Cytology 67:271-284.
- Rivkin E, Eddy EM, Willis WD, Goulding EH, Suganuma R, Yanagimachi R, Kierszenbaum A.L. (2005) Sperm tail abnormalities in mutant mice with neor gene insertion into an intron of the keratin 9 gene. Mol Reprod Dev 72:259-271.
- Tres LL, Kierszenbaum A.L. (2005). The ADAM-tetraspanin-integrin complex in fetal and postnatal testicular cords. Birth Defect Res Today 75:130-141.
- Kierszenbaum A.L. (2006) Tyrosine protein kinases and spermatogenesis: truncation matters. Mol Reprod Dev 73: 399-403.
- Kierszenbaum A.L., Rosselot C, Rivkin E, Tres LL. (2006) Role of integrins,tetraspanins, and ADAM proteins during the development of apoptotic bodies by spermatogenic cells. Mol Reprod Dev 73:906-917.
- Kierszenbaum A.L. (2006) Cell-cycle regulation and mammalian gametogenesis: A lesson from the unexpected. Mol Reprod Dev 73:939-942.
- Kierszenbaum AL, Rivkin E, Tres LL. (2007) Molecular biology of sperm head shaping. Soc Reprod Fertil Suppl.65:33-43.
- Rivkin E, Tres LL, Kierszenbaum A.L. (2008) Genomic origin, processing and developmental expression of testicular outer dense fiber 2 (ODF2) transcripts and a novel nucleolar localization of ODF2 protein. Mol Reprod Dev 75:1591-1606.
- Kierszenbaum A.L., Rivkin E, Tres LL. (2008) Expression of Fer testis (FerT) tyrosine kinase transcript variants and distribution sites of FerT during the development of the acrosome-acroplaxome-manchette complex in rat spermatids. Dev Dyn 237 :3882-3891.
- Behnen M, Murk K, Kursula P, Cappallo-Obermann H, Rothkegel R, Kierszenbaum AL, Kirchhoff C. (2009)Testis-expressed profilins 3 and 4 show distinct functional characteristics and localize in the acroplaxome-manchette complex in spermatids. BMC Cell Biology (in press).
- Kierszenbaum AL, Rivkin E, Talmor-Cohen A, Shalgi R, Tres LL (2009) Expression of full-length and truncated Fyn tyrosine kinase transcripts and encoded proteins during spermatogenesis and localization during acrosome biogenesis and fertilization. Mol Reprod Dev (in press).
BOOK REVIEWS AND CHAPTERS
- Kierszenbaum AL (2005). Epigenetic reprogramming in germ cells and preimplantation embryos. Encyclopedia of Genetics, Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics. John Wiley & Sons, London.
- Tres, L.L.and Kierszenbaum, A.L. (2009) The molecular landscape of spermatogonial stem cell renewal, meiotic chromosome inactivation and spermatid head shaping. In Reproductive Endocrinology: A Molecular Approach. Ed. P. J. Chedrese, Springer Verlag (in press).
MEDICAL TEXTBOOK (English and foreign language editions)
- Kierszenbaum AL (2002) Histology and Cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology. Mosby. Elsevier Health Sciences; English Edition.
- Kierszenbaum AL (2004) Histologia e Biologia Celular: Uma Introduçao à Patologia. Elsevier Brazil (Portuguese Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2005) Histology and Cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology. Nankodo Publisher. (Japanese Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2005) Histology and Cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology. Taiwan Yi-Hsien Publishing (Chinese Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2006) Histologie et Biologie Cellulaire. Une introduction à l‘anatomie pathologique. De Boeck Publisher (French Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2006) Histoloji ve Hücre Biyolojisi: Patolojiye Giriş. Publisher: Palme Yayincilik, Ankara, Turkey (Turkish Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2007) Histology and Cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology. Second Edition. Mosby . Elsevier Health Sciences (English Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2007) Histologia e Biologia Celular: Uma Introduçao à Patologia. Second Edition. Elsevier Brazil (Portuguese Edition).
- Kierszenbaum AL (2008) Histología y Biología Celular: Una Introducción a la Anatomia Patológica. Editorial Elsevier España, Madrid (Spanish Edition).
Last Updated: 8/30/11